Revolutionizing Our Cultural Perspective
Trainers: Christi Venable, LPC and Javai Evans, MSW, LICSW
Training Dates: October 14, 2023, November 28, 2023, and December 13, 2023
Time: 10:00am - 12:15pm
Description: This is a 2.0 credit live webinar developed for social work professionals. This course will enhance professionals understanding of being clinical competent; address how to apply cultural competence in practice; explore the cultural continuum; understand the difference between race and ethnicity and how it applies to cultural competence; learn what is an inclusive of culture; recognize cultural and implicit bias; explore and practice cultural humility; understand how trauma can affect cultural perspective and identity; and identify how to manage and establish cultural confidence.
For Webinar: The webinar will be conducted via a Zoom webinar during the day of training. The training will be live and the link to the webinar will be provided to each registrant. On the day of training, you will utilize the link to access the LIVE Webinar Training.
By The End Of This Workshop Participants Will Be Able To:
- Participants will be able to define and describe cultural competence
- Participants will be able to recall and apply cultural competence in practice
- Participants will be able to describe the cultural continuum
- Participants will be able to identify the difference between Race and ethnicity and how it applies to cultural competence
- Participants will be able to describe what is inclusive of culture
- Participants will be able to define cultural and implicit bias
- Participants will be able to recall and put into practice Cultural Humility
- Participants will be able to describe how trauma can affect cultural perspective and identity
- Participants will be able to explain how to manage and establish cultural confidence
Content Level: Beginner to Intermediate
10:00am | Welcome | Introduction | Review objectives and ground rules
10:10am | Defining Culture | Intervention to Explore Culture
10:15am | The Term "Cultural Competence' | Why Cultural Competence is necessary for clients and applying in practice
10:25am | Cultural continuum and definitions
10:40am | Weaver’s Iceberg Concept
10:45am | The difference between race and identity
10:55am | Racism and Cultural biases | Implicit Bias | Why this matters
10 minute break
11:20am | Cultural Humility | Video with Juliana Mosley, Ph.D.
11:40am | Achieving Cultural Competence and Humility | How to be cultural confident
11:45 am | Trauma and cultural identity | Trauma Impacting Cultural identity
11:50am | Vicarious trauma/ Burnout |Drowning in Empathy: The Cost of Vicarious Trauma with Amy Cunningham
12:05 pm | How to Manage Vicarious Trauma and Establish Confidence
12:10 pm | Closing remarks and Questions
12:15 pm | Course Evaluation
Webinar Registration Deadline: 1 day before the training begins
Evaluation For Participants: There will be an evaluation for both in-person and live webinar participants. For in-person, the evaluation will be given at the end of the training and must be completed in order to receive CE credit. For live webinar participants, the evaluation will be emailed to each participant at the end of the training and must be returned the same day via email in order to receive CE credit
System Requirements for Live Webinar through Zoom:
- Operating Systems: Windows XP or higher, MacOS 9 or higher, Android 4.0 or higher with speakers and camera
- Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Google Chrome, Firefox 10.0 or higher
- Broadband Internet connection: Cable, High-speed DSL & any other medium that is internet accessible
- Live webinar available through Zoom.
Refund Policy: Full Refund will be issued for cancellations made 72 hours prior to the training. Otherwise, training fee is transferable and can be used for a future training date.
Course Completion Requirements: SW must fully attend the course and complete an evaluation which must be turned in to receive CE credit. Upon completion, attendees will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course. For those taking the Live Webinar, the certificate will be emailed once the evaluation is received.
If you have additional questions or comments, please call 240-324-6524 or email [email protected]
Click here to register for the live webinar on November 28, 2023
Revolutionizing Our Cultural Perspective: Cultivating Our Perspective to be Culturally Confident, Course #3893 is approved by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program to be offered by SMILE Therapy Services LLC as an individual course. Individual courses, not providers, are approved at the course level. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ACE course approval period: 12/6/2022-12/6/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 2 clinical continuing education credits.